The Region One Education Service Center, in partnership with thirty (30) high schools in 27 South Texas school districts, Apple, Inc., the College Board, Texas Instruments, Vernier Software and Technology, Agilemind, Texas Valley Communities Foundation, the University of Texas at Brownsville, the University of Texas - Pan American, South Texas College, Texas State Technical College - Harlingen, Texas A&M International University, Laredo Community College and several community-based and private organizations established the GEAR UP: Ready, Set, College! Partnership. This partnership restructures school services to provide a knowledge pipeline to postsecondary success for 10,500 traditionally underrepresented youth.
Targeted School Demographics:
- 98% of the students are Hispanic
- 87% are economically disadvantaged
- 27% are English Language Learners
- 78% are considered potential first generation college bound students
The primary goal of the GEAR UP Ready, Set, College! partnership is to increase the number of students graduating from high school and entering and succeeding in post-secondary institutions.
GEAR UP: Ready, Set, College! is organized into five objectives. These objectives are then supported by delineated activities.
- Objective 1: Increase the academic performance and preparation for post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Objective 2: Increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Objective 3: Increase GEAR UP students’ and their families’ knowledge of post-secondary education options, preparation, and financing.
- Objective 4: Increase GEAR UP students' access to advanced academic programs, technology applications and distance learning networks through a STEM initiative.
- Objective 5: Increase the leadership capacity of administrators and community stakeholders to sustain a college awareness organizational structure of continuous learning.