GEAR UP Overview
The Region One Education Service Center, collaborating with the entities listed below, established the GEAR UP: Ready, Set, College! Partnership.
Thirty (30) high schools in 27 South Texas school districts Apple, Inc. The College Board Texas Instruments Vernier Software and Technology Agilemind Texas Valley Communities Foundation Texas Valley Communities Foundation
The University of Texas at Brownsville
The University of Texas - Pan American* South Texas College Texas State Technical College - Harlingen Texas A&M International University Laredo Community College Several community-based and private organizations
*NOTE: Now the University of Texas at the Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV)
This partnership restructures school services to provide a knowledge pipeline to postsecondary success for 10,500 traditionally underrepresented youth.
Targeted School Demographics:
- 98% of the students are Hispanic
- 87% are economically disadvantaged
- 27% are English Language Learners
- 78% are considered potential first generation college bound students
The primary goal of the GEAR UP Ready, Set, College! partnership is to increase the number of students graduating from high school and entering and succeeding in post-secondary institutions.
GEAR UP: Ready, Set, College! is organized into five objectives. These objectives are then supported by delineated activities.
- Objective 1: Increase the academic performance and preparation for post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Objective 2: Increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Objective 3: Increase GEAR UP students’ and their families’ knowledge of post-secondary education options, preparation, and financing.
- Objective 4: Increase GEAR UP students' access to advanced academic programs, technology applications and distance learning networks through a STEM initiative.
- Objective 5: Increase the leadership capacity of administrators and community stakeholders to sustain a college awareness organizational structure of continuous learning.