The Region One ESC GEAR UP: Ready, Set, College! Partnership, serves over 10,700 cohort students and provides services to regional high schools arrayed along the U.S.-Mexico border from Laredo to Brownsville, TX. The primary goal of the GEAR UP: Ready, Set, College! Partnership is to increase the number of targeted students who enter and succeed in postsecondary environments. This goal is supported by a plan that encompasses academic systemic reform.
Services are substantiated by validated research and are intended to result in a systemic examination, alignment, and implementation of policies, programs, and practices that enable students to succeed in college. GEAR UP: Ready, Set, College! is organized into the five program objectives listed below.
- Objective 1: Increase the academic performance and preparation for post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Objective 2: Increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Objective 3: Increase GEAR UP students’ and their families’ knowledge of post-secondary education options, preparation, and financing.
- Objective 4: Increase GEAR UP students' access to advanced academic programs, technology applications and distance learning networks through a STEM initiative.
- Objective 5: Increase the leadership capacity of administrators and community stakeholders to sustain a college awareness organizational structure of continuous learning.
Targeted Student Demographics:
- 98% of the students are Hispanic
- 87% are economically disadvantaged
- 27% are English Language Learners
- 78% are considered potential first-generation, college-bound students
The Region One ESC GEAR UP: Ready, Set, College! Partnership is about making a positive change in the Region One area through post-secondary education. We want students to be successful in their college and career goals. Our work helps achieve that through the support of families, educators, and community members.Region One ESC GEAR UP is a partnership with students at heart!