Membership and Qualifications
The government of the Education Service Center shall be vested in the Board of Directors, consisting of seven members and one Commissioner appointed charter school members.
Eligibility (BBA LOCAL)
To hold the office of member of an ESC Board of Directors one must:
1. Be a U.S. citizen.
2. Be at least 18 years of age.
3. Be a resident of the county in the ESC region from which he or she is elected.
To hold the office of Board member one may not:
1. Be engaged professionally in education in a public school district.
2. Be a member of a school board of trustees.3. Be a member of the board of trustees of any institution of higher education.19 TAC 53.1001
A charter school member of an ESC Board of Directors must be a U.S. citizen, and a resident of the state of Texas, and must be at least 18 years old. A person may be appointed to serve as a charter school member of more than one ESC Board of Directors. 19 TAC 53.1002(c)(1) [See BBB]
When used in connection with this policy or BBB(LOCAL), the term “resident” of any given location shall mean actual domicile or physical presence in that location combined with a fixed intention to remain in that location for an indefinite period of time. A Board member may not have more than a single residence at any given point of time. Derived from Martinez v. Bynum, 461 U.S. 321 (1983); see also Prince v. Inman, 280 S.W.2d 779 (1955)"Engaged Professionally in Education" Defined
The term “engaged professionally in education,” when used in this policy, shall mean:
1. Employed in any capacity by a school district organized and operating under the provisions of Chapter 11 of the Texas Education Code.
2. Employed in any capacity by a Regional Education Service Center organized and operating under the provisions of Chapter 8 of the Texas
3. Employed in any capacity by a charter school organized and operating under the provisions of Chapter 12 of the Texas Education Code.4. Employed in any capacity by a community or junior college district organized and operating under the provisions of the Texas Education Code."Employed" DefinedThe term “employed” when used in this policy shall mean engaged for wages or a salary in service to another under a contract for hire, express or implied, oral or written, where the employer has the power or right to control the employee in the material details of how the work is to be performed.
Terms of Office
Members of the Board of Directors shall be elected for three-year terms. Terms of office shall begin on June 1.
Members of the Boards of Directors shall be elected by the local school boards in the seven counties of Region One as follows:M
- Place 1- One Board member to represent Hidalgo County
- Place 2- One Board member to jointly represent Jim Hogg County, Starr County, and Zapata County
- Place 3 – One Board member to represent Webb County
- Place 4 - One Board member to represent Hidalgo County
- Place 5 – One Board member to represent Cameron County
- Place 6 – One Board member to represent Cameron County
- Place 7 – One Board member to represent Willacy County
- One Charter School Representative to be appointed by Texas Commissioner of Education
Board member must be resident of the county or counties he/she is representing.