Membership and Qualifications
The government of the Education Service Center shall be vested in the Board of Directors, consisting of seven members and one Commissioner appointed charter school members.
Eligibility (BBA LOCAL)
To hold the office of member of an ESC Board of Directors one must:
1. Be a U.S. citizen.
2. Be at least 18 years of age.
3. Be a resident of the county in the ESC region from which he or she is elected.
To hold the office of Board member one may not:
1. Be engaged professionally in education in a public school district.
2. Be a member of a school board of trustees.
When used in connection with this policy or BBB(LOCAL), the term “resident” of any given location shall mean actual domicile or physical presence in that location combined with a fixed intention to remain in that location for an indefinite period of time. A Board member may not have more than a single residence at any given point of time. Derived from Martinez v. Bynum, 461 U.S. 321 (1983); see also Prince v. Inman, 280 S.W.2d 779 (1955)
The term “engaged professionally in education,” when used in this policy, shall mean:
1. Employed in any capacity by a school district organized and operating under the provisions of Chapter 11 of the Texas Education Code.
2. Employed in any capacity by a Regional Education Service Center organized and operating under the provisions of Chapter 8 of the Texas
3. Employed in any capacity by a charter school organized and operating under the provisions of Chapter 12 of the Texas Education Code.
Terms of Office
Members of the Board of Directors shall be elected for three-year terms. Terms of office shall begin on June 1.
Members of the Boards of Directors shall be elected by the local school boards in the seven counties of Region One as follows:M
Board member must be resident of the county or counties he/she is representing.