Region One ESC School Safety InitiativeSafety First!What is the School Safety Initiative?
Region One ESC created the School Safety Initiative to help school districts address and comply with
Mandates created under Senate Bill 11, HB 3, Intruder Detection Audits, and Ch. 61 School Facility Standards.
This Legislative action requires that all Texas school districts conduct a safety and security audit of all district facilities, every three years and report these findings to the District Board of Trustees.
New Deadline for School District/Charter Comprehensive (3-Year) Safety & Security Audits:
Region One ESC believes that school districts should be empowered to retain control over their own
- TxSSC Safety & Security Audits are scheduled to be conducted by August 31st, 2026.
- District Superintendents should receive the Online District Audit Report on or after April 15th, 2026.
- The reporting deadline for the DAR (District Audit Report) is September 15th, 2026.
- Open Enrollment Charters Safety Audit Deadline to conduct Walkthrough's: August 31st, 2025
- Open Enrollment Charters CAR (Charter Audit Report) is Due: September 15th, 2025
Safety audit process and align the audit report to the priorities set by the district.
The Region One School Safety Initiative will not only assist school districts to comply with safety audits but will continue to support school districts by providing staff training as deemed necessary by the school district.Given today’s threats, schools must be prepared to respond in partnership with administrators, students, teachers, parents, community and local agencies. The resulting partnership is one of commitment to the overall safety of students, employees and community members.For further information contact:Jay Aguayo M.SSafety & Transportation DirectorRegion One ESC(956) 984-6283Manuel MartinezSafety & Transportation Specialist956-984-6125Esmeralda ConchaSafety & Transportation Specialist956-984-6125Hector RendonSafety & Transportation Specialist956-984-6125Norma SoteloSafety & Transportation Program Assistant956-984-6125