Family Empowerment InitiativeBeyond opportunities for families to learn about the college education system, college readiness, college enrollment processes, and career opportunities, the Region One ESC GEAR UP grants provide a system of support for GEAR UP families and develops leaders in the community through the Parent Leadership Council (PLC), an innovative and engaging campus based parent-to-parent trainer model.
Parent advocates will collaborate with campus leaders to maximize efforts and meet the needs of the community. Presentations, services and materials will be available in English and Spanish. Parents have the opportunity to participate in applicable Region One ESC GEAR UP Partnership events, meetings, and sessions to gain knowledge of postsecondary readiness and opportunities.
- provide presentations on the effective role of families in education and post-secondary success
- identify post- secondary needs & interests of community parents
- recruit parents for GEAR UP activities
- organize and facilitate parent-based GEAR UP services
Monthly parent meetings (minimum of six) will be conducted at each partner school.
Presentation Topics may include:
Participants are encouraged to attend regional GEAR UP events with students such as:
- The role of the family in post-secondary preparation and success
- Criteria for Rigorous Coursework – AP/International Baccalaureate/Dual Credit and OnRamps
- The Foundation High School Program Overview & Graduation Requirements
- Endorsements and Distinguished Level of Achievement
- College Tuition and Fees
- Stackable Credentials and Career Pathways
- Financial Literacy
- Financial Aid
- College Entrance Requirements
- Systemic Supports for Success
- High School to Post Secondary Transistion for Students with Special Needs
- College for All Conferences
- Financial Literacy Summit
- I AM and T.I.E.S. Conferences
- Parent Institutes
Ongoing communication will be established with the Parent Advisory Council (PAC) to share insight, gain parent perspective and evaluate feedback of operations, program procedures and GEAR UP services and activities.
In addition, ongoing efforts will be made by Region One ESC, with partners from the Deep South Texas Financial Literacy Alliance (DSTFLA) to provide training and information on financial literacy. Training and information will be provided in a bilingual format (English/Spanish).
For additional infomation, contact:
Family Empowerment Initiative Specialists
Ricardo L. Lopez, Jr. firstname.lastname@example.org (956)984-6110
Sylvia Vargas email@example.com (956)984-6074