SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMOur Purpose:The Special Education Program (SPED) focuses on improving student performance and program effectiveness for students with disabilities ages 3 through 21 as indicated in the Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Education Act of 2004. Staff supports school systems in meeting the requirements of law and service effectiveness through training and technical assistance for teachers, paraprofessionals, parents, support staff, and administration.
- Achievement of students with disabilities
- Access to the general curriculum for students with disabilities
- First point of contact for students, parents, district and community stakeholders in areas of special education
- State and federal accountability support
- High-quality professional learning opportunities
- Collaborative partnerships
- Educator training on research-based effective instructional strategies
Specialists collaborate across the service center to ensure the inclusion of and consideration of the needs of students with disabilities for district improvement. Special education staff members provide insight and guidance on issues of accountability, student performance and factors which affect the performance of students with disabilities.
- Assistive Technology
- Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Multi -Tiered System of Supports
- School,Family, and Community Engagement
- Secondary Transition
- Significant Disabilities
- Significant Disproportionally
- Visual Impairments
For a list of upcoming Special Education workshops, click here.
Todd LarsonDirectorSpecial Education Program(956)984-6203Noelia C. PerezCoordinatorSpecial Education Program(956) 984-6202Laura JuarezCoordinatorESC Special Education Liaison(956)984-6198Perla PulidoSenior Program AssistantSpecial Education Program(956) 984-6206
The Special Education Information Center (SPEDTex) provides resources and interactive features for increasing family awareness of disabilities and special education processes, with the goal of improving partnerships between schools and families.
Live Chat: www.spedtex.org