SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMOur Purpose:The Special Education Department focuses on improving student performance and program effectiveness for students with disabilities ages 3 through 21 as indicated in the Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Education Act of 2004. Staff support school districts and charter schools in meeting the requirements of law and service effectiveness through training and technical assistance for teachers, paraprofessionals, parents, support staff, and administration.
- Achievement of students with disabilities
- State and federal accountability support
- Access to the general curriculum for students with disabilities
- High-quality professional learning opportunities
- Collaborative partnerships
- First point of contact for students, parents, district and community stakeholders in areas of special education
- Educator training on research-based effective instructional strategies
Specialists in disabilities collaborate with others across the service center to ensure the inclusion of and consideration of the needs of students with disabilities for district improvement. Special education staff members provide insight and guidance on issues of accountability, student performance and factors which affect the performance of students with disabilities.
- Assistive Technology
- Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- Multi Tiered Systems of Support
- School,Family, and Community Engagement
- Secondary Transition
- Significant Disabilities
- Visual Impairments
For a list of upcoming workshops click here
Todd LarsonDirectorSpecial Education Program(956)984-6203Dr. Carolina CamposCoordinatorESC Special Education Liaison(956)984-6205Laura JuarezCoordinatorESC Special Education Liaison(956)984- 6198Noelia C. PerezCoordinatorSpecial Education Programs(956)984-6202Tere LongoriaLead Program AssistantSpecial Education Programs(956) 984-6206
The Special Education Information Center (SPEDTex) provides resources and interactive features for increasing family awareness of disabilities and special education processes, with the goal of improving partnerships between schools and families.
Live Chat: www.spedtex.org